- NPR’s list of new book releases for this fall. I’m very excited for Blue Nights and The Marriage Plot.
- A hidden bookstore in New York City. Though the “shop” looks temptingly chock-full of interesting, worn books — and even comes complete with the smell of pipe tobacco (an aroma that brings me back to my childhood) — the idea of a secret bookstore saddens me. It’s very Fahrenheit 451. Bookstores should be on every street corner, public and accessible, with affordable rent for the owner. What kind of city is this that we are running the bookshops underground?
- Happy Birthday to Winnie the Pooh, who turns 90 this year! The New York Public Library will celebrate his birthday on August 20th. I’d like to take my sons to visit the original Pooh figurines when they get a little older.
- “After all, one can’t write with abandon if one is worrying about the consequences. And to have children is to always, always worry about the consequences.” An interesting essay by Dani Shapiro on motherhood and writing.
- Design Mom is running a fabulous giveaway for the blog’s 5 year anniversary — a library of 50 amazing children’s picture books! Even if you don’t win the giveaway, the list of books she includes in the collection is a good reference for books to add to your own child’s shelves.